Monday, October 15, 2007

Update

To be completely honest, I am posting for the sake of posting--not because some out of the ordinary, ridiculous thing has happened; parents, I'm sure this is not upsetting news for you! We have started to acclamate ourselves, our lives with those of Wellington. We work, we live, we "recreate" (not a word, but basically gets the thought across)with the best of the Kiwis. We each have two part time jobs, one restaurant for the evenings and one cafe a couple days a week. I feel pretty fortunate that I enjoy both my jobs. They are nice to me, they are both laid-back environments, and they both feed me, for free. We still seem to have a lot of free time, and those hours are spent relaxing at the hostel with each other, with our new friends, playing frisbee outside, climbing Mt. Victoria, rock-climbing, walking around the city, going to one of the 18 million cafes, reading, writing, listening to music, going to museums, walking at the harbour, going to the beach or anything else we can think of. Our lives here are so relaxed. Parents, more specifically mine, do not be alarmed when you read this because we are aware that this is a temporary living situation for us, but we are loving not having the responsibilities of home lurking around each corner, each morning when we wake up, each evening when we are trying to rest; no school worries, no work worries, no personal worries. We are mello, at least I am more mello than I have been in a very long time. I think that this has been a long-deserved break from the past years of continuous education and the bombarding of the sometimes useless information upon our minds. We are now pupils of a different school. The one of independence, choosing completely on one's own, judging of character, approaching new sitiuations and people with open minds and open hearts. We are each hoping to come home to you all improved-- with a new sense of self and mind and heart, and most importantly, with a renewed sense of the lives we lead and what we want from them.

1 comment:

Tony Khoury said...

Very nicely said Maggouda,
I hope you are and continue to be right. I'm glad you sound pleased and relaxed. Just keep in my mind the purpose you are there for and do not overstay your purpose. Please keep in mind that we are what we habitually do. It forms us and determines us. It determines our memories, imagination, and expectations. New things have a tendency to change us into their own image. Please do not overstay the purpose of your stay.

Take care!
Love you,
Dad