Sunday, July 27, 2008

If You're Happy and You Know It...

I had a life first this week. I applied, interviewed, accepted, started and quit a job in less than one week. I know what you are thinking: "this girl finally gets a job and then quits?" Here was the problem: false advertising. After weeks of perusing Craig's List job vacancies I found one that seemed suitable for me, Gymboree Teacher (Development classes for babies to five year olds). However, what initially seemed to be a teacher role very quickly turned into an entertaining clown role. I should have known from the beginning that this was NOT what signed up for, but I was too blinded by the possibility of work and an income. After two days of training and feedback such as "You are too laid back" or "Try and be more peppy" or "You should be clapping practically the whole time, Maggie" I started to come to the realization that no amount of hourly wage(well, that may not be entirely true) was worth the downhill slope at the bottom of which no dignity would be left. Dramatic, you think? No. I was at the mercy of 2 year olds telling me with their eyes (and the eyes of their unsympathetic parents) to "jump, clown, jump". After a formal resignation I promptly received an email from the director that hired me as a form of "consolation". Basically trying to assure me that there is nothing wrong with me but that it does take a person with very special skills to fulfill such a duty...and in the end she said "she's not surprised". Gee, thanks, am I that transparent? Were my clown inabilities really that obvious? Can I really not even convincingly fake acting as a total goof in front of gawking children and their parents. Well, that's another ridiculous career option I can check off my list, only about 232 more until I have narrowed the list down to the golden few...
P.S. When singing "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands", just clap, seriously, always clap, or the wrath of a stay at home mom will come upon you and your firstborn.

No comments: