Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Samantha Brown, you are such a tease.

I am beginning to believe that the sole purpose of all of Samantha Brown's charming shows is to rub in that "You, Maggie, will never have a job like mine". Deliberately or indeliberately, Samantha Brown has a way of putting my life in rather harsh perspective. She has met and continues to meet Hawaii, Latin America, Europe and great American weekend getaways. What have I done today? Do you really want me to waste your time? I guess in a way, I have seen those places as well, seeing as I am a faithful viewer/admirer. Why? Is it because she is charming and personable (which she is, by the way)? Or perhaps because I have a pretty impressive ability to live vicariously through people I admire, and I need material? I daydream more than probably anyone I know, the problem, however, is I have a difficult time coming back to my reality: the basement. I find myself completely far too involved in these complex faux realities in my mind. Honestly, though, you would daydream about visiting the Inca ruins of Machu Picchu at daybreak with no one around, a tour of Gothic cathedrals throughout Europe or a one-on-one lunch with Mexico's scariest Lucha Libre fighter(who turned out to be a big teddy bear in the end).
I was rejected to yet another job yesterday. It's okay. At this point I have become reasonably familiar with rejection (especially in a professional sense). What is most disheartening about this particular rejection is that unlike all the other jobs that I was not experienced enough for, Enterprise was actually looking for a candidate with little to no experience so that it could mold the lucky winner into the corporate Enterprise robot it loves and trusts. I, to Enterprise, apparently do not fulfill the "image" they are looking for. That's okay, on to the next.
In the end, I have faith that I will find something right for me. All the rejection letters, or lack thereof, are all just working together(stars aligning, perhaps) in order to find the place that is right for me. As for me, as for right now, Bourdain is calling to me, he wants me to check out mesmerizing New Jersey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Maggie,
You've lied to a little girl, but you sound very honest with yourself and about yourself. Your 23rd Birthday has brought you a great gift, and I feel you know what I mean.
The problem with vicarious living is less transparent when one lives vicariously through roles of one's own making. There is a big difference between living a role of one's own making and living vicariously through a role of one's own making. The first one is the key to self-realization. The second, if followed unchecked, is the read to self destruction.

Dad