Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Retraction

Okay, so we have now arrived in Wellington, which is the capital of New Zealand. It's one of those cities that you arrive in and feel an instant connection with, you just want to know it, as best as one could befriend a city where they know no one. But I guess I didn't realize it would be so difficult to find a place to live here. Rent is more expensive here, comparable to a big city in the states, so we are torn between sucking it up, working longer hours, having less money to spend, and find a flat to live in here, a fun, young, cosmopolitan city....or going elsewhere, to a smaller town, pay less rent, have more spending money, but not being in Wellington. I'm pretty confident that things turn out right in the end, but my goodness is it frustrating at the beginning of it when what you want doesn't seem like it's panning out. Life, huh? I guess it builds character, right, Dad?

Anyway, New Zealand is treating us well! We are thinking of crossing the Cook Strait by three hour ferry (I would swim it but I don't think Fred and Mary K can keep up with my Olympic-like stealth speed) and touring the West Coast of the South Island by either car/hostel or camper. Which ever is the most cost-efficent will be the way we go. We will be kayaking along Abel Tasman, trekking glaciers, sailing the remote fiordlands, hiking the highest NZ points(well probably not) and seeing the NZ that Bindy the Jungle Girl would want to see!

I think after two weeks we will be settling down, and things in our lives will be a little more steady. Until then, I am in NZ for the first time, and who knows maybe the only time, and I will enjoy each day, love each day, learn more about my friends, hopefully a bit about me, and keep in mind that I am definitely one of the lucky ones!

For those who may be keeping up with this blog, I posted some false information on the last one. This my retraction: In order for a phone in the U.S. to call my cell phone here, you must dial 064 210 261 2519. Also, there may be an additional 0 at the very beginning. I receive incoming calls for free, so by all means, call us! I lied, however, when I told you it is $.02 a minute on skype. Apparently, that is wrong, it is more, but we are worth it, and that is NOT a lie!

By the way, I usually do not have enough time to re-read and edit the blog, so that is why there may be the occasional error. But please do not judge my character and intelligence by my infrequent(maybe) typos.

3 comments:

Joe the annanomous lebanese person said...

Flute, bug, couch, poopy head. That's right Doug; I said it. You sir are a poopy head. Whatchugonna do? Why this? Why now? Flick, pook, platapus and all things neon green. Hmmmm!! Love you Maggie.

Eva Khoury said...

hi honey. it is nice to hear from you. I miss you. I hope everything is fine with you. My classes are going ok. I wrote two papers already and now I am in the process of writing the third one. We are going to call you on friday in the afternoon. take care of yourself. love you. your mom
9/19/07

Tony Khoury said...

Maggieo,
We are not able to use indirect calling to call the number stated. Can you call your company and ask why?
Thanks,
daddio